Sunday, August 29, 2010

08/28/2010 4:46 PM

Still here. Still gonna be here a few more days at least. Still ready to go. Quite honestly, nothing has really changed at all, except for the fact that I’m losing out on a few more dollars each day, and one of my buds from Texas showed up last night. That was a bit of refreshing news for me. I was sitting down in the lobby, chatting with Joe on Yahoo, and watching an episode of NCIS on the computer (for the record, casttv.com is a new lifesaver to me) when I noticed three people walking through the big revolving doors and heading toward the front desk. I wasn’t quite sure at first because he had a hat on and wasn’t looking toward me, but I was pretty sure it was Scott. I just sat and waited for him to get through at the counter when he turned around and saw me. Definitely him. We sat and chatted for a while in the midst of him checking in, getting the work-related stuff taken care of, and trying to get his luggage up to his room. I really hope that having him… and his related optimism here will do me a lot of good. I’m usually a pretty optimistic person, but this situation is getting even me down. Not only that, it seems that every time I try to be positive that we’ll get out of here soon enough, someone is very quick to hit me back with at least two negatives for each comment. That’s getting very old.



I actually had a good conversation yesterday afternoon while trying to get out of my room for a while. I was sitting in the lobby again (I’d love to say that it’s a great place to hang out, but it has what I need) and a rare American came over and sat down in one of the chairs near me. He pulled out a book and started to read when he glanced over at me and commented on my shirt. It has a brewery on it and that sparked some conversation being that he was wearing a shirt from a brewery as well. He asked what I was doing here and I told him that I’m waiting to be sent to Afghanistan. He told me that he had been in Iraq and was heading home after a 5-month stint. He works for the DoJ and this was definitely not his first time overseas. He gave me some pointers, some fun things to know, some things to be aware of. He was actually a really nice guy and that conversation couldn’t really have come at a better time. It’s so helpful for me to be around normal, optimistic people.


Three times a week, the manifest is posted in the afternoons showing who will be flying the next morning. So far, that’s given us four times to be disappointed already. The next we’ll find out about is Monday. We were told last night that the reason for the holdup is that flights are not happening from Kandahar, where we’ll be initially taken, to the FOBs. They can’t keep stacking people up in Kandahar so that means that we’re being stuck here. Earlier this past week, we were told that there were over 350 people waiting to go. Scott said that when he was in Texas, he was told it was closer to 1000. It truly is insane to me how this could happen. It would stand to reason, at least in my mind, that if they didn’t have room for us, they wouldn’t have hired and/or processed us so quickly! But then I know that there is a reason for everything. Whatever it may be. If we’re not flying right now, we’re not meant to. I just wish that made sitting here a bit easier.


Technically speaking, there is a lot to do in Kuwait. They’ve got a gorgeous beach from what I hear. There are museums, theaters (including an IMAX), tons of shopping, an aquarium, a science center… all sorts of stuff. I just have nobody to do these things with and for some silly reason they don’t really want us out there in the big world traveling alone. I’m okay with that, but I’m also very ready to get out of here! Too bad we don’t have a bulletin board where we can post things here: “Fire dispatcher seeks companion/body guard for a taxi ride to war museum.” “Help break the monotony… let’s get a group to the aquarium. Will pay half the ride fare.” “Someone help get me out of my mind!!!” Perhaps I’ll have to offer that suggestion. I can think of worse ideas. Cabin fever can only last for so long before the mind starts to crumble. Anybody want to come visit for a few days? Just keep me company for a bit while I’m stuck here? Eh, I suppose not. The flight is awful anyway. It’s alright.


So that’s where we stand right now. I’m going to say goodbye for a bit since we need to go check in soon. Why we have to do that on weekends, when we’re not getting paid, I’ll never know. I hope you all are doing well and much love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment