Saturday, August 21, 2010

07/24/2010 10:55 PM

I have been blown away over this past week or so at how insanely blessed I am.  I am fully aware that there is still a possibility that I won't be able to go to Afghanistan, whether because of health issues, money issues, a passport issue, or whatever, but even if that happens and I'm left without a home and a job, I will still be so thankful for this week.  Even through the craziness and insanity, there have been so many wonders.  I know I'm one of a lucky few. 
I went to a party tonight.  In fact, I just recently got back from it.  Joe & I intended to only stay for a short while.  That didn't quite materialize.  Even when we were trying to leave, it didn't work.  More on that in a moment.  At one point, a few of my friends went inside.  Joe left to get a couple more drinks, and I was left alone by the fire.  Now honestly, I am totally okay with being alone.  In teh big picture, it appeals to my love of observation.  It also allows me time to think instead of talking.  It also usually affords me the opportunity to meet people who inevitably see a "lonely gal" and come over to talk.  It's a win all the way around.  But this time, I sat (very comfortably I might add, thanks to Ken & Irene and their comfy chairs) and watched my friends inside dancing like they were walking on hot coals.  I laughed until I had tears in my eyes then I realized how much I would miss these moments and those tears of laughter turned into tears of thankfulness.  How many people are lucky enough ever to actually realize how lucky they are before it's too late?  See, I am blessed! 
I honestly have some of the best friends in the whole world.  They care so much for me and I am so thankful for that.  They make me laugh, they make my heart sing, they always have my back, and they support me even when I think it's a good idea to move to the other side of the world for a year.  They hug me when I need a hug, tell me a joke when I need a laugh, and give me a kick in the butt when I'm slacking.  They truly are the greatest. 
As I was leaving the party tonight, I got the laugh and the memory I needed that would last me a year.  One of the dolls I have the pleasure of working with wanted to sing a Karaoke song.  He wanted one of our other work buds to join but he was less than willing.  Joe told Brian that if he could convince Joey to sing, Joe would be the third for a trio.  Didn't look too promising.  As we were saying our goodbyes, Brian begged us to stay while he sang for us.  Joe joined him and somehow, I got suckered into being the third.  Wow was it hysterical!  Joey finally came in to join so it was a quartet of chaos... or a cacophony.  Not quite sure which is the better term.  My stomach ached from laughing so hard.  I could hardly breathe!  Definitely couldn't sing...  I'll laugh at that for years to come, I'm sure.  Moments like that aren't always easy to come by but when they do, it's the best.
Okay, time to get some sleep and continue the madness tomorrow.  Boy have these been some trying days!

No comments:

Post a Comment