Monday, June 11, 2012

06/11/2012 0835


I was supposed to arrive at KAF today.  Well, not during the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th changes to the plans, but according to plan 1 and apparently plan 5 (or is it 15?) I was supposed to arrive today.  But instead I have been here for, goodness, around 26 hours or so.  First, I thought I was heading out just like every other trip so far.  I fly out of Dwyer the day before I leave for R&R.  Stay one night in KAF, on to Dubai early the next morning. Then they were starting to send people two days ahead because of weather.  Then I had to get my physical.  S did too.  Then I got mine at Dwyer but he didn’t.  Then the firefighters were going to get theirs in Dubai on the way back in from R&R.  Then back to KAF.  Then I was still going to go two days early.  Then not, because my roomie got sent home for medical reasons so we had a dispatcher shortage.  Then then then then then.  So I thought I was going to be leaving the day after my honey and the other two guys going out for training.  I was a little bummed, but it’s not the end of the world.  Then a measly 10 hours before “they” were going to meet in the morning to leave, “they” became “we” and “I” still needed to pack.  And finish the rest of my shift.  And eat dinner.  And go for coffee.  I thank God with every fiber of my being that I am such a list maker and a strangely organized person.  Not only was I able to pack and not forget anything, I also got about 4 whole hours of sleep! 
We were on our way early.  Brutally early.  S ran over to Green Beans and got coffee for all of us.  I thank God with every fiber of my being for him too.  Not just because of the coffee, but that was a nice perk.  No pun intended. 
The Huey ride was fun.  We fire guys were separated from everyone else.  Methinks it’s because we don’t always play nice with others.  Or around others for that matter.  At any rate, it was really cool.  I got to take a lot of pics but my battery was running low so I tried to limit it.  That was probably the nicest flight crew I’ve ever had.  One of them was writing things to point out to us—Helmand River, Red desert, poppy trucks, etc.  It was nice of him. 
Half sunny, half shady me. 


The river

For the first time on my R&R journeys, I am staying in the dreaded South Park.  Apparently it is vastly different from what it used to be, but it’s still a far cry from paradise.  40 bunk beds in a tent.  I think I was lucky to get a sleeping bag-- they don’t always have them.  I’m going to pitch a fit if someone tries to offer me chicken one more time.  I’ve resorted to only using the port-o-potty because the normal bathroom’s door is messed up and the metal grinding is just too much.  But it is a lot better than the stories I’ve heard.  And even still, I would rather plunk down $200 just for privacy, quiet, a non-shared shower, and temperature settings that I can control.  Plus no 0200 wakeup call.  That’s going to suck.  And that’s about as eloquent as I plan to get for now, so I’m going to head to the DFAC to wait for my honey and the good news that his health is just fine.  Positivity is best :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment